BLT troubles with redhat 4.1

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: BLT troubles with redhat 4.1
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:35:38 -0500 ()

OK, I need to install BLT2.1.  Fine.  I got it, decompressed it into
usr/lib.

First I tried to run Glen's patch, but it gave a error message. "1 out of
1 hunks failed...""
I decided to make the change the change in bltBgexec.c  manually. I went
to the line specified in the patch file and put in what followed after the
+ marker in the patch file in place of what was previously after the -
marker in the patch file.  I have no clue if this makes a difference, yet,
because I can't get BLT to install.

When I run ./configure, things go wrong because it cant find a library for
X11.h. I am supposed to edit the config.BLT and tell it where to find
X11/X11.h.  It seems to think it can find tk and tcl libraries.  That is
the good news.

But I don't have X11.h.  I can't find it, anyway. I've searched
everywhere.  Why don't I?  Do you know which RPM would have had it?

Here is the odd thing. Studying the BLT config, I notice it has found
directories for tk and tcl.  I can find in my directories some of the
files it says it has, but not all.  For example, it says it has found
  libX11.a in /usr/X11R6/lib
But I can't see it there.  Instead, I see files like
   libX11.so.6
Now I'm starting to think that when it looks for libX11.a, it does not
actually look for that, but also for files with suffix .so.

Anyway, because it can't find by directory for X, the configurtaion
output also shows it can't find all kinds of files, such as -lXbsd,
-lsocket, -lnsl.  It can't find libitka.a, libittcl.a, or tkInt.h.
It could be those are all realted to not finding the X11.h.

If anyone knows what I did wrong, please let me know.

Paul Johnson