Re: BLT troubles with redhat 4.1

From: Hal L DeVore
Subject: Re: BLT troubles with redhat 4.1
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:52:40 -0500

address@hidden said:
> When I run ./configure, things go wrong because it cant find a library
> for X11.h. I am supposed to edit the config.BLT and tell it where to
> find X11/X11.h.  It seems to think it can find tk and tcl libraries.
> That is the good news.

> But I don't have X11.h.  I can't find it, anyway. I've searched
> everywhere.  Why don't I?  Do you know which RPM would have had it?

> Here is the odd thing. Studying the BLT config, I notice it has found
> directories for tk and tcl.  I can find in my directories some of the
> files it says it has, but not all.  For example, it says it has found
>   libX11.a in /usr/X11R6/lib But I can't see it there.  Instead, I see
> files like
>    libX11.so.6 Now I'm starting to think that when it looks for
> libX11.a, it does not actually look for that, but also for files with
> suffix .so.

I think you have gotten seriously confused between header files (*.h) and
library files (*.a or *.so).  There is no such header file as X11.h and
I see no such reference or problem with compiling BLT2.1 on Red Hat Linux
4.1.

You _may_ be having trouble with it finding X11 *library* file.

Library files are named libFOO.a or libFOO.so where "FOO" is the "name"
of the library and is passed to the linker using a -l switch (e.g., -lX11
tells the linker to look for libX11.a or libX11.so).  The linker will look
for that file in a few "well known" directories and in all directories
named using "-L" switches (e.g., -L/usr/X11R6/lib adds /usr/X11R6/lib to
the list of directories where the linker will search).

A ".a" library is used for staticly linking apps, a ".so", shared object,
library is used for dynamically linking.  If you've done MS-DOS or Windoze
development the equivalent would be ".lib"=".a" and ".dll"=".so".

Both the libX11.so and libX11.a libraries are on your Red Had CD in the
XFree86-devel-3.2-4 package.  Install that RPM if you haven't ("rpm -q
XFree86-devel" will tell you if it's there) and rerun the BLT2.1 configure
script.

NOTE:  It is NOT necessary to deinstall Tcl/Tk 7.6/4.2 as was recommended
by another flailing Red Hat Linux installer.  Glen Ropella's patch to
BLT2.1 will get that component compiled and swarm will compile fine.

Hal