Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:58:35 -0700

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:28:31AM +0200, rghetta wrote:
> >Also note that when the branch is merged back in, you will have to
> >push the branch to the central repo.  This is partly just because of
> >technical limitations, but you may not mind the technical limitations
> >so much the first time you discover after merging that someone had
> >uncommitted work on the working branch, that you need to relate to the
> >rest and merge in too :-)
> You mean that propagate propagates (ahem) *all* my revisions, instead of
> simply merging my branch head with trunk head ?
> I liked the idea to make a working, messy, branch into my private space,
>  commiting every piece of crap I made during development and then, when
> the dust settles and my branch head is nice and clean, propagate to the
> trunk locally and sync the trunc with the central repo.
> I really can't do that ? Please ?

Sorry.  The trunk really will have a single changeset on it that
summarizes all your changes; but next to it, there'll also be the full
history of how you got there.

Is being able to get at this history really so bad a thing?

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."