Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]

From: Gerald W. Lester
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:00:51 -0500

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:54:16PM +0200, rghetta wrote:

From a quick look at the sources everything seems pretty standard SQL,
but obviously performance is another thing.

Porting monotone to use a different database is certainly possible,
but probably a bad idea.  It's not safe to have multiple monotone
processes running against the same database, not because sqlite isn't
up to this, but simply because we haven't done the careful auditing of
the monotone source that would be required to make this safe...
BTW, multiple processes can access the same SQLite database -- but, just like concurrent access to any database, the code must be built to work with such access,

I personally don't think this is a good idea in general, and definitely a bad idea for monotone.

--
| Gerald W. Lester               | Email: address@hidden        |