Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]

From: rghetta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone evaluation in commercial project [long]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:28:31 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
I'm not sure why "polluting" the centralized repo is a bad thing?
Monotone certainly allows the developers to sync with each other
directly, which can be very handy if they don't have a connection to
the main repo because of firewalls or whatever, but surely you want a
central copy of their work-in-progress when possible, for backups and
all that kind of thing?
Yes, but now developer workdirs *are* backed up (in fact, we're a bit more paranoid and also use a fs-level tool to cover the aaargh-accidentally-deleting-my-last-nine-hours-of-work case).
Monotone dev repos would be handled this way.

Also note that when the branch is merged back in, you will have to
push the branch to the central repo.  This is partly just because of
technical limitations, but you may not mind the technical limitations
so much the first time you discover after merging that someone had
uncommitted work on the working branch, that you need to relate to the
rest and merge in too :-)
You mean that propagate propagates (ahem) *all* my revisions, instead of simply merging my branch head with trunk head ? I liked the idea to make a working, messy, branch into my private space, commiting every piece of crap I made during development and then, when the dust settles and my branch head is nice and clean, propagate to the trunk locally and sync the trunc with the central repo.
I really can't do that ? Please ?

Greetings,
        Riccardo