Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18

From: Olivier Andrieu
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:15:00 +0200 (CEST)

 > Bernhard Reiter [Tue, 12 Apr 2005]:
 > On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:46:59PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
 > > I am pleased to announce that monotone 0.18 has been released,
 >
 > Congratulations!
 > Keep up the good work!
 >
 > > This release adds
 > [..]
 > > performance improvements
 >
 > LWN reports that Linux started hacking on something called git,
 > which might be used to build SCMs. I wonder how much he learned
 > from monotone, if monotone developers could learn from his approach
 > and what would have had happened if all that kernel developers
 > had started to help optimising monotone. ;-)

Actually it seems _very_ similar to monotone. It lacks the sql db of
course, it stores whole files instead of deltas and there are no
certs. And rsync takes care of the network replication. Apart from
that it seems to be structured in the same way : files are identified
by their content's hash ; tree objects are like monotone's manifest
and there is a changeset object to keep track of the history, just
like monotone revisions. What a rip-off :)

Heh, I bet I could make monotone-viz display a git db with a little
hacking.

--
   Olivier