Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.18
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:28:40 +0200

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:46:59PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that monotone 0.18 has been released,

Congratulations!
Keep up the good work!

> This release adds
[..]
> performance improvements

LWN reports that Linux started hacking on something called git,
which might be used to build SCMs. I wonder how much he learned
from monotone, if monotone developers could learn from his approach
and what would have had happened if all that kernel developers
had started to help optimising monotone. ;-)

http://lwn.net/Articles/131657/
(subscriber only contents for about a week).
Some sentences:

        "git" was announced on April 7.
        Since then, the tool has progressed rapidly.

        Git is not a source code management (SCM) system. It is,
        instead, a set of low-level utilities (Linus compares it to a
        special-purpose filesystem) which can be used to construct an SCM
        system.

        Git implements two data structures:
        an object database, and a directory cache.

        The object database relies heavily on SHA hashes to function.