Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 14:14:22 +0000 (UTC)

> Question: I would have thought locales would be a) largely present,
> b) small and easy to install as dependencies, like many other
> dependencies we have (and substantially less prone to change than
> any software dependency)
>
> Where does the concern with locales not being available on a system
> come from?

It's often not installed, and it lacks standardization.  And no,
locales are not small and easy but quite heavy instead – the
`/usr/lib/locale` directory on my openSUSE GNU/Linux box provides 494
locales and has a whopping size of 227MByte, mainly for collation and
character type information.  Normally, you won't get a single locale
as a separate package, which forces you to install all of them.

    Werner