Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 11:35:27 +0100

Le 29/11/2022 à 07:29, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
In the long run, however, it would be good to have correctly sorted
indices in the non-English manuals.  AFAIK, and assuming that
`texindex` is eventually capable of doing that, we will need UTF-8
locales for that, because virtually all programs, irrespective of the
OS, rely on a platform's locale data for collation support.

If you ever have to work with locales, I strongly recommend to read
the excellent documentation of Perl's locale support, which
essentially covers all aspects you will ever encounter, and most of
its information is not related to Perl only.

   https://perldoc.perl.org/perllocale

Interesting. Indeed, I didn't find a Perl library that would
support locales without them being present on the system. However,
all of

https://perldoc.perl.org/Unicode::Collate (Perl)
https://github.com/jtauber/pyuca (Python)
https://docs.rs/unicode-collation/0.0.1/unicode_collation/ (Rust)

support user-provided collation tailoring tables.

Jean