Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 06:29:54 +0000 (UTC)

> Am I understanding it correctly that with this plus the already
> merged https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1715,
> we don't need the Autoconf UTF-8 locale searching stuff anymore, at
> least for now?

Correct.  I've already cleaned up all index entries in previous
commits so that `texindex` might produce incorrect but not invalid
output (irrespective of the underlying AWK implementation).  I will
remove that locale commit from the MR so that we can proceed with
switching to luatex after it is applied to master.

In the long run, however, it would be good to have correctly sorted
indices in the non-English manuals.  AFAIK, and assuming that
`texindex` is eventually capable of doing that, we will need UTF-8
locales for that, because virtually all programs, irrespective of the
OS, rely on a platform's locale data for collation support.

If you ever have to work with locales, I strongly recommend to read
the excellent documentation of Perl's locale support, which
essentially covers all aspects you will ever encounter, and most of
its information is not related to Perl only.

  https://perldoc.perl.org/perllocale

    Werner