Re: critical issues

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 09:20:55 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, January 01, 2011 7:16 AM

Nope, for precisely the reason you gave earlier: our documentation
generally has zero input from programmers, so it's not at all a
good representation of "what's intended".

We have a set of "intended to be working" examples.  They're
called the regression tests.  No more, no less.  If a patch breaks
those, then we reject the patch.  If we notice in time.

Look, we simply *cannot* offer users anything that would be
"reasonable" by most standards.

[snip persuasive argument]

You're right (as usual :)  In our circumstances we must
be pragmatic.

I think our best bet is:
1. stabilize and release 2.14, using the most restrictive
interpretation of "stabilize" and "critical issue" we can.
2. drastically reduce (or abandon entirely) development for 3
months while we sort out the GOP policy questions (many of which
should ease future development)
3. start picking up the pieces and try to recruit more
contributors.

OK, I can go along with this.

Trevor