Re: critical issues

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 09:26:00 +0000

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 09:39:37AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I'm not optimistic about that; I think a more realistic opportunity
> > would be to get some grant money from some artistic organization.
>
> Mhmm.  `Programming' in its broadest sense is research, thus getting
> grants limits the number of persons enormously.  However, the number
> of music researchers (this is, persons who work in the academical
> field and who can actually apply for a grant) who can program is very
> limited, I believe.  And normally, grants are always too limited to be
> shared with external resources...

?  Hiring outside talent is not unusual for Canadian and UK
research grants.  A music professor using part of a grant to hire
a programmer (generally to do the "technical side" of an
electroacoustic composition), or an engineering professor using
part of a grant to hire professional musicians to perform
something (which he will then analyze), is entirely normal.

I readily acknowledge that writing grant applications is a very
specific skill -- each granting agency wants to see something
slightly different in its applications; a perfect application for
one agency might be a terrible application for another one.

Cheers,
- Graham