Re: critical issues

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 08:24:57 +0000

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 09:10:49AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> What we would need is a payed full-time developer.

That could help.  Or at least having a sponsorship page up, which
brings us back to the GOP policy list and the current decision not
to begin discussing those until we've gotten 2.14 out the door.

> But maybe there is a group of LilyPond philanthropists who can afford
> this and are willing to do so...

I'm not optimistic about that; I think a more realistic
opportunity would be to get some grant money from some artistic
organization.  Either a music-composition grant (of which a
composer might dedicate x% towards lilypond sponsorship), or an
art history / research grant.  I think the latter is more
likely... for example, if somebody got a grant to typeset 17th
century Norweigan folk songs, and decided to use lilypond, and
spent x% of the grant towards "improving community-oriented tools
for folk music archival", etc.

Of course, writing artistic and research grants is a non-trivial
amount of work, and it's hardly guaranteed to have any results.
But I think that with the right angle -- be that "collaborative
folk music archival", or "high-quality, specialized music
notation", or "educational software for cheap 3rd-world donated
computers", I could imagine getting a grant.

Cheers,
- Graham