Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 12:51:47 +0200

Il giorno mercoledì 23/05/2012 14:47:00 CEST
Robert Martinez <mail@mray.de> ha scritto:

> I think there should be a campaign and I'm curious what you think.
>    It should be about making ethical choices transparent.

I can not understand how "trasparent" could be something applicable to "ethical
choices"...

> Most non-technical users cannot see or understand what software freedom is.
> All they eventually get is a license name and/or version, some "open
> foo" buzzwords and maybe the hint that it is free software. They are
> unable to recognize in how far their choice actually connects to the
> idea of free software.
> In order to help people make right choices the free software community
> should use its authority and start labeling what is considered free
> software.

I totally disagree.

Such an approach is declaredly paternalistic and authoritary, which
could not be a good way to spread neither "ethical choices" nor freedom.

More, understanding and awareness are never things you can achieve with
drastic simplifications or shortcuts of any kind. Things need to be discussed
directly with people and thoroughly...

The idea that a label can serve to make people's choices more ethical and
conscious or to spread freedom is simply wrong, and can only lead to the
opposite result... the same way clicking the FB's 'I like' button is not enough
to make us free to choose, and does not make us aware of anything or make
people friends...

Regards
--
al3xu5 / dotcommon