Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:12:48 -0400

Robert Martinez <mail@mray.de> writes:

> I think there should be a campaign and I'm curious what you think.
>
>   It should be about making ethical choices transparent.
>
> Most non-technical users cannot see or understand what software freedom is.
> All they eventually get is a license name and/or version, some "open
> foo" buzzwords and maybe the hint that it is free software. They are
> unable to recognize in how far their choice actually connects to the
> idea of free software.
> In order to help people make right choices the free software community
> should use its authority and start labeling what is considered free
> software.
>
> There should be a label on every homepage or about-screen visible for
> everyone, and indicating that using this software means making a right
> choice.
>
> Practically speaking this means:
> - create a label
> - create a landing page (linked to the label) explaining the 4
> freedoms and linking to more detailed infromation
>

> Do you think we can and should initiate this?

Yes. I think we should have that label link to
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html, and that if the page needs
to be clearer for this purpose, suggestions should be made to
rms@gnu.org. He has already made some changes relatively recently to
make it a better page for explaining the meaning of free software, in
addition to providing the official technical definition.

I think this is a great idea.

The label could say "Free as in Freedom".

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.