Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Label Campaign
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:22:07 -0400

Robert Martinez <mail@mray.de> writes:

> On 23/05/12 23:12, John Sullivan wrote:
>> There seems to be much disagreement about the effectiveness of the
>> "human readable deed" approach. I would suggest for the first iteration
>> of this, use the existing Free Software Definition page (possibly after
>> making a few improvements to the introduction).
>>
>> This is analogous to other labeling programs to me. Labeling criteria
>> are often very specific and detailed; I think ours would actually be
>> quite simple compared to many that are out there (for animal testing,
>> eco-friendly, and so on).
>>

> I wouldn't suggest to omit the info.
> I'd rather put the walls of text on a prominent link called "FULL
> DEFINITION" or something else.
> The focus should be on making the key values easily visible, such as
> only mentioning the four freedoms (maybe with examples) and a list of
> the most common licenses that are regarded free software.
>
> Do you think we would loose something that way?

Yes, page rank for the main definition. But also, we want the existing
FSD page to work for an introduction to the concept of free software. If
it doesn't, then that page should be improved, rather than trying to
create another version. I think what you are talking about (such as
giving examples) would be good improvements to the top of the existing
text.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.