gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 17:48:23 -0000

[]
Thank you David and Greg for the further info and links about PPS. David, in the first link, this is a great detailed procedure, but my situation is not exactly the same, because the author is using pps_gpio in a Raspberry Pi, while my signal is coming through a serial port. I imagine I somehow need to choose and locate a different driver instead of pps_gpio? I’ve never done anything with kernel modules before. I did try the commands lsmod|grep pps and dmesg|grep pps, and I find that I do have pps_core installed and running, but it is “used by” ptp, which seems to be associated with the ethernet adapter rather than the serial port.

The driver on the NTP.org page sounds great, but again I have no idea how to get it on my system. Do I have to install ntpd in place of chrony, and will the driver come with the package?

Devren, the standard for NTP on a serial port is that the PPS signal is sent on the DCD line. Some drivers can detect that. With Windows, some drivers with 3rd party hardware don't detect that properly, hence the loopback-ppsapi-provder.dll driver developed by Meinberg:

 https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/ntp/using_pps_signals_on_windows

I've not used an equivalent driver with Linux as I always buy modules with PPS, and the Raspberry Pi doesn't directly support a DCD line. A "two wire" connection suffices (TX, PPS, GND & 3.3V). I have always used reference NTP and not Chrony, as Chrony doesn't support Windows as reference clocks.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden