gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: Devren Yener
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 13:55:29 -0500

Thanks Gary for the clarification.   I showed these products to our resident electrical engineer, and he thinks our manager would prefer we buy a GPS device that already comes with a case and a serial port and a power supply, so we don't have to spend man-hours fabricating something and soldering on wires. (The raspberry pi still might be a possibility but not the bare board.)  Any suggestions for a product that is somewhat more finished (and expensive) than the bare boards, but less than the $1400 server I mentioned?

I really appreciate all the experience and wisdom here!

David, what I'm gathering from your last email is that I might try re-doing the pin configuration of the serial cable, to see if that is why the PPS programs don't recognize it.  Is that a fair statement?  I'm getting the feeling that the existing pin configuration is very non-standard.  I'm also willing to try "reference NTP" in place of chrony, but I'm not very interested in Windows. :)  I might try some of these things next week when I have time.

Thanks again,
Devren

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 3:15 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Devren!

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 11:34:56 -0500
Devren Yener <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you Gary for the purchasing recommendation ___ it sounds like a
> fun project, and I will look into it if I don___t find an easy fix for
> my current hardware. Amazing what can be done with a Raspberry pi.

Note that I did not recommend a Raspberry Pi, only GNS receivers.  Some
of which happen to work on the Raspberry Pi as HATs.  They can also work
with normal RS-232 ports.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588