gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 10:40:50 -0800

Yo Devren!

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 13:08:26 -0500
Devren Yener <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks very much Gary for your help and advice!  We were afraid we
> might have to buy new equipment, but I figured it's a simple enough
> signal, I'd be very surprised if there isn't some way to get it
> working in Linux.

With Linux there is always a way.

> (It works in Windows and DOS after all, with the
> manufacturer's ancient software... but I don't want to use these for
> a time server!)

You'd be surprised how well old machines can do NTP.

> Do you still think gpsd will not be able to work with the signal?

It could work.  But someone would need to write a new driver for this
terse protocol.  A lot of work just to avoid spending $100 for a
replacement.

If someone had the budget, and a serious need, I'd skip using gpsd.
A simple python program could read the simple serial data, check the
lock signal, then pass on the time to SHM().  The chronyd and/or ntpd
can read the shim with a simple configuration file change.

A good programmer familiar with the various parts could do it in a
day.  A fair programmer unfamilar with the parts, but with guidance,
might take a week.  All of a sudden $100 looks cheap.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588