gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 12:39:56 -0800

Yo Devren!

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 15:07:44 -0500
Devren Yener <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to configure a Linux box to sync time over a serial cable
> with an old GPS clock we have. I seem to be getting the expected data
> over the serial cable, but I cannot get the gpsd and chrony
> configuration working to actually sync the time.

It happens.

> I have looked
> through the HOWTO document at
> https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd-time-service-howto.html, and I am at
> a loss regarding what else I can try.

You came to the right place.

> The device is an 'ESE Master Clock ES-102'. It does not give full GPS
> data, but only an ASCII timestamp and a 1PPS signal.

Well, there is your problem.  Note the "gps" in gpsd?  Gpsd will not
pass on PPS unil the receiver tells gpsd it has a 2D lock.  Your receiver
does not do so.

This is because a lot of receivers spray random time until they get
a lock.

Good new receivers are cheap.  Junk your old klunker.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588