gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: Denny Page
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 11:40:46 -0800

> On Mar 6, 2020, at 11:28, Devren Yener <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Thank you Gary, I apologize for missing this link earlier! Yes this might be
> exactly what we're looking for.  It would be a shame to get a time server
> that doesn't involve low-level Linux hacking... :) But it's the company's,
> not mine.  We're looking for anything reliable for professional radio
> broadcasting purposes.  I would say that any new device we buy should be at
> least as accurate as the ancient one we have, so I'm guessing that either
> RS232 or a standalone server is the way to go, rather than USB.

FWIW, the LeoNTP unit will be far, far more accurate than anything you can do
involving Linux. With hardware timestamping on the Linux end, you can track
with a standard deviation under in the 20-30 ns range.

For comparison, my experience with Linux and attached serial is ~900ns standard
deviation, with common spikes in the multi microsecond range.