gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 19:13:21 -0000

David, what I'm gathering from your last email is that I might try re-doing the pin configuration of the serial cable, to see if that is why the PPS programs don't recognize it. Is that a fair statement? I'm getting the feeling that the existing pin configuration is very non-standard. I'm also willing to try "reference NTP" in place of chrony, but I'm not very interested in Windows. :) I might try some of these things next week when I have time.

Thanks again,
Devren

Devren,

I would check with a 'scope what pin carries the PPS signal, and send that to the DCD line of the computer end. That would be what I understand to be the "standard" configuration. Maybe chrony uses the same, but I can't say.

When connecting to GPIO pins be aware that some are 0..3.3V, and sending standard RS232 levels (-12V..+12V) may damage GPIO ports beyond repair. Also be aware that "3.3V" GPS signals may be too low a voltage to be recognised by "standard" RS232 ports expecting +/- 12V!

I wrote a program to display the DCD line, but it runs on Windows.

 https://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#SerialPortLEDs

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu