gpsd-users

Re: GPSD For Real Time Application

From: Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
Subject: Re: GPSD For Real Time Application
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 17:37:45 +0100

Kashyap,

Search for "Kalman filter". The internet is full of great resources that explains how to apply Kalman filtering to vehicle dynamics(2D and 3D)

As Bernd points out, since your locomotive is literally on rails, your problem should be relatively simple, since there are only so few solutions to the Kalman filter response (I'm assuming you have a model of the tracks in 2D/3D).

I would more look into adding a 2D (or 3D) accelerometer than a gyro, since the train is (very) unlikely to do significant yaw/pitch/roll movements (unlike small planes, helicopters and motorcycles).

Speed and acceleration along the tracks should be easy to find. Same with elevation. The only complication I can think of is when the train goes through a fork, and you need to determine which path it took.

Seasons Greetings,

Kai