gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD on Debian 10 (buster): allowing other hosts to acc

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD on Debian 10 (buster): allowing other hosts to access gpsd
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 16:31:45 -0600

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:29:57 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > IMHO such things are things an admin should know.
>
> But our typical gpsd users are not admins.

Who are the typical gpsd users? Here are the roles I see, with their
likely interest in systemd.

* Casual end users, e.g. the typical Android user. This user could not
  care less about systemd or its interactions with gpsd. We should be
  able to ignore them.

* GPS receiver (and other data source) developers. Most of these want to
  integrate their data source with gpsd. Their interest in systemd, if
  any, is to allow them to do what they need to do. These are admins
  only by necessity.

* gpsd client developers. Similarly, their interest in systemd, if
  any, is to allow them to do what they need to do. These are admins
  only by necessity.

* gpsd developers. Similarly, their interest in systemd, if any, is to
  allow them to do what they need to do. These are admins only by
  necessity. Whoever works on actual systemd unit files should probably
  know more about systemd than anyone else.

Anyone else?

In general, admins range all over the map in their interest in systemd,
but few admins will have any interest in gpsd. Those who do have any
interest in gpsd mostly want it as a time source. They want to get it
set up, and then they want to forget about it. They want the
intersection of gpsd and systemd to Just Work (tm).

So I think the target audience for gpsd/systemd trouble shooting
documentation is the latter three gpsd developer audiences above.

> Yeah, now someone needs to actualy write it.  Since I do not
> uuse systemd(ork) I'm not that person.

I seem to have volunteered for that.

> > And some links to the gpsd documentation.
>
> Lost me?  We are talking about the gpsd documentation?

Specifically, we are talking about documenting the intersection of gpsd
and systemd. So Bernd's request for links I take to mean links into
other parts of the gpsd documentation.

I think links into the systemd docs may also be appropriate. I will
look into that as well.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com