gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD on Debian 10 (buster): allowing other hosts to acc

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD on Debian 10 (buster): allowing other hosts to access gpsd
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 14:29:57 -0700

Yo Bernd!

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 23:08:38 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9/29/19 10:19 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> >> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.socket.html
> >> You might want to read the links at the bottom of the page first.
> >
> > Sorry I was imprecise, I meant document as it specifically applies
> > to using gpsd under systemd.  Something HOWTO like for users, not
> > something only a programmer can wade through.
>
> hmm, does it include a howto on how to edit an init script?

No, because none is required.  The problem is that systemd sticks its
nose in when not asked.  Not been a problem with other init systems.

> IMHO such things are things an admin should know.

But our typical gpsd users are not admins.

> I know users don't do this and ask here, so the documentation should
> stay with the gpsd parts:
> - socket activation will be used if your favourite distribution uses
> systemd
> - to change the listening ports/IPs/interfaces, edit/override
> gpsd.socket.
> - to change the options gpsd is being started with, edit/override
> gpsd.service

Yeah, now someone needs to actualy write it.  Since I do not
uuse systemd(ork) I'm not that person.

> And some links to the gpsd documentation.

Lost me?  We are talking about the gpsd documentation?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588