Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:43:49 -0400

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 10:20:28PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > ... it is because to me, _no_ games are important enough to deserve such
>   > fuss - they are purely for entertainment; so they are inherently low
> priority
>   > - from that perspective, we may as well be discussing how many "lady gaga"
>   > videos we can distribute - answer: "i dont care - we have bigger fish to
> fry
>   > today" - "zero" is as good as any other amount - lets just decide, then
> move on
>   > with due haste
>
> That is roughly what I think, too, but not quite exactly.
> I think it is of some importance to have free games and to distribute them.
> No users _need_ games, but many users _like_ games.
> Offering them free games can (1) help them enjoy using free systems
> and (2) illustrate that they can develop more free games.
>
> However, that is not pertinent to ScummVM.  Distributing ScummVM
> has at best a minimal relationship to making free games more available.
>
> Basically, John's argument makes a mountain out of a molehill, takes a
> gram of that mountain, and makes inflates that to a mountain again.

Unsubscribing based on this. The above is not an argument at all, and in
no way helped advance the conversation toward a logical, evidence-based
conclusion. I really don't care that much about ScummVM -- I care about
a sound process for making decisions about the application of the FSF's
guidelines, which this is not.

-john