Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 02:58:33 -0400

On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 23:07:48 -0400 Richard wrote:
> Guix is supposed to be entirely free software.
> How can they justify the inclusion of these games,
> they being nonfree?

i suspect that the most distros distributing these games relied on debian's
judgment, that they were fit for debian's DFSG; because debian usually does a
thorough job - however, debian uses different guidelines than GNU - it is only
recently that anyone has contested those licenses - this may be one of those
instance exhibiting the subtle differences between the mostly-compatible
guidelines of different distros

but again, rubuen has suggested that GNU has already accepted licenses of that
sort - ie: we are yet to determine whether or not it is a non-free license,
per the FSDG