Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 22:30:48 -0400

On Tue, Jun 13, 2023 at 09:33:37PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > Citations needed. Being a fan of something and enjoying playing with it
>   > does cannot be measured based on released software -- that is a much
>   > higher bar. I don't know where the update dates come from on the Scum
>   > site next to the proprietary games, but there are plenty there 2014+.
>   > Atari published games based on it in 2009.
>
> This is hardly a shred of a reason to consider a program important.
> A cult following is not a reason to overlook a moral defect.

Moral defect? It is free software. It can be used to make more free
software. It can be used to make private, undistributed software.
As we've been told, there is at least some free software distributed and
shared for it. I'm not appealing to the cult following as a
justification for anything -- I was answering bill's claims about how
many people are still interested in it.

-john