Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of softwa

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Adding some scummvm game(s) to the "List of software that does not respect the Free System Distribution Guidelines"
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 17:41:49 -0400

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 04:57:21AM -0400, bill-auger wrote:

> there are plenty of new freely-licensed "retro" games being made
> (two-dimensional, simple mechanics, limited colors, etc); but ScummVM would
> not
> be considered as adequate, even for that task - the only reason why anyone
> would use ScummVM today, is for the thrill or the challenge of using such a
> primitive game engine, or for the sake of authentic nostalgia, in the way that
> hobbyists still make games for antique computers (atari, commodore, etc) -
> those computers still have small but thriving fan-bases; but the fan-base of
> ScummVM is non-existent, otherwise there would already be many freely-licensed
> games for it

Citations needed. Being a fan of something and enjoying playing with it
does cannot be measured based on released software -- that is a much
higher bar. I don't know where the update dates come from on the Scum
site next to the proprietary games, but there are plenty there 2014+.
Atari published games based on it in 2009.

Have you played any of the ScummVM games before? They are much more
complex than than "two-dimensional, simple mechanics, limited colors".

-john