Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:20:10 +0200

Hi,

Am Freitag, 21. April 2006 15:09 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Peter Conrad <address@hidden> writes:
> > You have to balance cost against usefulness. If 8.3 filenames
> > were the limit on today's windows, the usefulness of sticking
> > to the limit would probably outweigh the cost.
>
> I'd like to point out that this is clearly a political argument --- I
> can't believe that you'd honestly defend such a technical flaw.

I'm not defending it. I'm arguing as a professional user of RCSs
who has to live in a reality that happens to contain machines running
windows. Part of the job of an RCS is to enable cooperation in a
team. An RCS that doesn't run on windows cannot perform that job
(in my environment), and thereby disqualifies itself as a useful tool.

This is not a political argument, it's being pragmatic.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany