Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:33:21 -0400

> (b) Will you consider specifying a more specific target market?

Yeah, I'll be happy to do so at the right point. Further reflection left
me with the realization that you are right that the outstanding issues
should be triaged according to their importance.  The most important thing
at this point is for the project to figure out who should lead the group.

The person or people leading a project is the single most important
question that impacts a group -- particularly one on life support. Plenty
of examples abound thoughout the world in general and the free software
world in particular. That person responsible should be the one to lead
this discussion.

Here are some important skills for a solid project leader:

 * Strong technical skills - These sorts of skills are important
   when a group of experts divide evenly on two decisions that are
   mutually incompatible. The skill isn't strictly necessarily -- a set of
   experts that evenly divide means that both decisions are good.

 * Strong communication skills - A group leader that lacks strong
   communication skills isn't going to be able to guide the development of
   key documents like roadmaps, advocation with third parties, position
   statements, final decisions from above, etc. At one extreme is nothing
   at all. On the other extreme is overly complicated goble-de-gook.

 * Strong social skills - A project lead without strong social skills
   isn't going to be able to coordinate attracking new groups and
   interests to participate. Lack of this skill ranges from apathy to
   downright anti-social behaviour (ranging from intra-group fighting all
   the way to fighting with third parties).

 * Financially Stable - Also important for a project lead. The project can
   stall for weeks or months if the lead looses his network connection,
   can't afford to fix his computer or becomes desperate enough to do
   nasty things in attempts to leverage the project into money.

 * Reliability - Can you imagine how bad it would be if a lead were
   unreliable?

Andy has done a very good job running GnuArch. He communicates well, is
skilled at avoiding minefields on this list, is open to ideas from
everyone on the group and seeks consensus. I nominate Andy Tai to stay in
charge of GnuArch.