Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0? (was re: Google...)

From: Aldrik KLEBER
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0? (was re: Google...)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:35:27 +0200

Le Jeudi 20 Avril 2006 23:27, Andy Tai a écrit :
> On 4/20/06, Aldrik KLEBER <address@hidden> wrote:
> >         For the moment Arch with tla is limited to POSIX environment,
> > should we
> > considered that it is a ARCH requirement, or on only a caracteristic of
> > the
> > first implementation of ARCH ? Should we imagine that ARCH can be open to
> > non
> > POSIX SYSTEM (Mainframe, etc ...) ?
> >
> > I think it is well agreed that the current tla's strong ties to "certain
>
> aspects" (but not all) of the POSIX environment is a weakness and to work
> well on Microsoft Windows is a desired feature for Arch 2.0 and Tom's
> prototype clearly shows that.
>

> Andy Tai, address@hidden

So for Arch 2.0, should we assume that storage is separate from his
specification ?
An API specification is sufficient, after one or many storage manage can do
the job for storing or reading data IMHO. this can be useful for system with
non hierarchical filesystem on mainframe for example, and for non gnu OS in
general.

Aldrik