Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:51:07 -0400

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 05:39:35PM -0500, John Meinel wrote:
> What I understand is that the FSF will allow you to contribute code, and
> then hide your name from the list of authors. (I'm not sure if that is
> by your request or not.) As the original author, you still have more
> rights than a regular user. But if a third party comes along and wants a
> different license for the work that the FSF won't give them, because
> your name is not on the list of authors the third party cannot contact
> you to get a different license.

I'm not sure who's actually complaining about what in this thread, but just
in case people are getting upset over the above:

It's a matter of privacy -- contributing code anonymously seems like a
perfectly reasonable desire for some people (Bill Gates' secret Emacs
hacks :-) and FSF should respect that (which apparently they do).
Indeed, this should be the default.

Morever, the FSF has no duty to make it easy for 3rd parties to work around
the GPL!

[If the maintainer of the project doesn't like people contributing
anonymously, they can easily enforce that, while they are the maintainer.]

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research