Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:04:25 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Florian Weimer <address@hidden>

    > > Tom wants this to be a GNU project.

    > > This has consequences - the primary one being that copyright
    > > is assigned to the FSF (for "GNU arch proper").

    > I think the copyright assignment is optional.  Other things are more
    > important.

Because the proportion of code that I *don't* own (and hence can't
personally assign to the FSF) is currently so small, it is not a
disaster if there remains some code which has not been assigned.

However, going forward, I hope to reach a state where all
non-"trivial" contributions (i.e., those meritting copyright
protection) are either assigned or are rejected because they have not
been assigned.

This isn't a major burdon on contributors, imo.   It's just basic
professionalism, by several metrics (auditability, accountability, and
deliberately formal process).