[Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:42:52 +0900

Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden> writes:
>> What on earth would the point be?  The only complaints that don't fall into
>> the category of "it's just not to my taste" are ones that have to do with
>> typing that name in csh/tcsh, and if people don't need to type it, those
>> complaints go away.
>
> I said that in the context (I thought) of a complaint about globbing,
> where * catches {arch} but would not catch .anything including .{arch}.

The files under {arch} are _part_ of the source tree for some purposes;
morever there are often "source" files which begin with ".".

The original complainer wanted to run ctags, and thought that including
{arch} was bad; Is it?  Why?  If ctags works recursively, then surely it
has a mechanism to separate "source" from "non-source" files (of which
there are usually plenty in a source tree); why don't these work with
{arch}??  Is it because of pristines?  If so, the solution is to get rid
of them, not rename {arch}.

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia