Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:12:04 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
Speaking of which, how far along is the process of getting everybody with
copyright in arch to assign copyright to the FSF? Also, what's going to
happen to code that isn't handed over?

I assume that would be "whatever you decide" - how could it
be anything else. It almost sounds like you're assuming that
people will be "encouraging" you to do otherwise than you
would choose of your own free will.

I think part of what he's mentioning is code that was contributed a while ago, by someone who we may not be able to contact. FSF requires everything to be signed over to them, so that they have the legal right to defend it in court. The official ruling is that code that is not signed over cannot be incorporated.

This may mean that code has to be pulled out of something like jblack's integration branch if he wants to get it into mainline. For me the big concern is who is going to audit everything, and as jblack asks, what do we do when chunks have to be pulled out?

Not to say that I don't agree with some of the rest of what you say. jblack does have a slight rebellious streak in him. But there is a general concern here. If code is GPL, it's not very difficult to assign copyright to FSF, they *could* decide to do bad things with it, but I think people generally trust them. (They could re-release code with a BSD license, for instance, since they own the copyright).

John
=:->