Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:34:15 +1000

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 09:35, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 09:17:14AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > If the other discussions that have strongly suggested the user-visible
> > portions inside {arch} are being removed (tla 2.0?) with {arch} simply
> > becoming an arch system-level database, is there any reason it couldn't
> > be renamed .{arch} or similar?
>
> What on earth would the point be?  The only complaints that don't fall into
> the category of "it's just not to my taste" are ones that have to do with
> typing that name in csh/tcsh, and if people don't need to type it, those
> complaints go away.

I said that in the context (I thought) of a complaint about globbing,
where * catches {arch} but would not catch .anything including .{arch}.

Sure there are workarounds, but this is the crux of this conversation -
there are a lot of workarounds, some which, when not known, are
potentially "serious".

> [Anyway, I don't want {arch} to go away at all, because it's a convenient
> place to put my own arch-related meta-files.]

Who said anything about it going away?