[Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:03:24 +1000

> Speaking of which, how far along is the process of getting everybody with
> copyright in arch to assign copyright to the FSF? Also, what's going to
> happen to code that isn't handed over?

I assume that would be "whatever you decide" - how could it
be anything else. It almost sounds like you're assuming that
people will be "encouraging" you to do otherwise than you
would choose of your own free will.

Rather than "letting life do it to me", how about getting
clear on what _you_ want, making suggestions, and discussing
on the list?

If the answers must always come from on high, I suspect you
shall be forever somewhat disappointed in what_ever_ happens.

Tom wants this to be a GNU project.

This has consequences - the primary one being that copyright
is assigned to the FSF (for "GNU arch proper").

You can find the FSF's copyright assignment forms on their
website. It's not like they hide this stuff :)

You can then make an assessment of what you will and won't
contribute to _GNU_ arch.

I'm sure you can think of various options here that you might
choose to follow...

A rebelliousness in your words I feel. Which is fine of course,
if that's the kind of conversations you want to have here.

What sort of community do you want? Who do you plan to be in
this community? Or will it forever depend on what others say,
what others do and what others decide?