Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:55:39 -0700

On Oct 15, 2004, at 0:31, Matthieu Moy wrote:

But there are a lot of people using *t*csh (including me). It's a bad
scripting language, but it's not bad for an interactive shell.

I've had countless people try to convince me to switch from tcsh to bash without showing me how to do some of the every day things I do in tcsh. For example, binding the up arrow to history-search-backwards, automatically timing every command, or even the types of completions I've done. I've seen comparable stuff in zsh, but the majority of people who look down on me for using tcsh don't know how to do much more with bash than invoke commands.

I do get the occasional ``you can't script on the commandline!'' While that sounds like a neat thing, it's not the kind of thing I'd want to do. If I'm doing anything complicated enough to require that kind of functionality, I'd rather have it in a file where I can reproduce it, test it, debug it, and edit it more easily.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>