Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard

From: Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:13:14 -0300

        [Sorry for the off-topic, but since this has been brought up on the
list, I thought I should reply to it here]

On Fri, Oct 15 2004 at 04:55:39AM BRST, Dustin Sallings <address@hidden> wrote:

>       I've had countless people try to convince me to switch from tcsh to
> bash without showing me how to do some of the every day things I do in
> tcsh.  For example, binding the up arrow to history-search-backwards,

        Try putting

"\M-[A": history-search-backward

        in your ~/.inputrc . Works For Me (TM).

> automatically timing every command,

        I'm not sure I know what you mean, but perhaps

export PS1='\T address@hidden:\w\$ '    # Inserts current time (\T) in shell
prompt

        or something like that? If you want seconds elapsed between prompts,
you can try something with the PROMPT_COMMAND variable, using command
substitution (`` or $()), and maybe an auxiliary file:

export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -n $[$(date +%s) - $(cat ~/.bash-timestamp)];date
+%s > ~/.bash-timestamp'

> or even the types of completions I've done.

        Well, I don't know what they are, but from bash 2.04 beta you have
programmable completion
(http://www.caliban.org/bash/index.shtml#completion), which pretty much lets
you do whatever you want, completion-wise :)

        There's even a long list of pre-made completion functions, so some,
if not most of your needs have probably already been addressed.

        Hope this helps.

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel <address@hidden> | GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>
 http://isnomore.net

Like I said the last time, it won't happen again!