Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:00:13 -0500

Aaron Bentley wrote:

John Meinel wrote:

Anyway, I created a python script which uses 'tla inventory --source' to figure out what files exist. One problem, this doesn't include .arch-inventory, and I know of no way to get it to, is it possible, right now I just check manually. Also, it doesn't include .arch-ids/*, which I would like to check for permissions at the very least.

"tla inventory --source --all" will list all source files, even .arch-id, id files and log files.

Is it better to post this to the mailing list, or to put it on the Wiki, or just have it in a publicly accessible archive? It probably would best fit in tlacontrib.

tlacontrib sounds like a good place for it to me.

Aaron

Well, I ran into a problem. precommit doesn't happen soon enough. I can change the file permissions, and they are change in the filesystem, but the changeset has already been committed. And thanks to the fact that mode bits are not checked without a touch, I thought everything was working okay. (My file has the right mode, and a tla changes doesn't show the problem.)

I also have to remember, that in a hardlinked tree, you can't change the mode of a file since it is still linked.

What is the correct way to break a hard link? Copy the file, and then move it over the old one? Shouldn't there be a delink command? I know unlink actually means delete the file, so that's not what I want.

For right now, I've updated the script. It will change the permissions, and then abort the commit. It will also check the number of hard-links for a file. If it is > 1 it will not change the mode, but warn that it needs to be changed, and still abort the commit.

That's the best I can think of for right now.

John
=:->