Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: missing feature: text file handling

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: missing feature: text file handling
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:25:10 +0200

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 13:59:13 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Does this behaviour make sense to people?  True, it provides a chance
> > to edit the changeset,
>
> Which is, by the way, extremely dangerous: I expect the tree after a
> commit to be exactly sync-ed with the archive. If you edit the
> changeset, and not the tree, this probably won't be the case.

In fact, in presence of data-mangling hooks I do *NOT* expect that. In
the presence of such hooks I'd suppose the changes made to the data to
be undone after!

Ie. if I am on windows and my toolchain needs CR/LF line endings,
but the project otherwise uses LF endings, I expect the hook to convert
the files, make the changeset and convert them back again, so that
I still have my CR/LF in work files, though in archive they have just
LFs.

This would be easier done by editing the changeset, but it could break
that changeset, so I wouldn't do that. In fact, the mangling hooks
should best happen **around (or instead of) invocations of diff and
patch**. Diff would be replaced by
$ recode > tmp && diff pristine tmp
and patch would be replaced by
$ recode > tmp && patch tmp < cset && recode tmp > work

That's about the only way I see that has some reasonable semantics.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>