Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:41:55 +0200

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 01:30:27PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:24 +0200, address@hidden wrote:

[text files]

> > I don't think this should be a feature of tla; this "feature" in CVS is
> > really very troublesome. [...]

> I liked that feature: [...] I prefer to use
> the native text file format.
>
> So, it would be nice to classify a file as being
> "dos text", "unix text", "mac text", "portable text", binary.
> or "CR/LF", "LF", "CR", "native", binary.
>
> $ cat ~ller/.arch-params/=default-terminators
> *.txt, *.c, *.cpp, *.h: native
> *.dsp, *.dsw : dos
> *: binary
> $ cat ~jberg/.arch-params/=default-terminators
> *: binary

This might be an application of Robin's `generalized attributes' thing.
Or am I overstretching things?

OTOH I'd be scared of things which munge files on checkout/checkin.
When are the diffs cwcalculated? Are the checkout/checkin filters
exact inverses (i.e. is dos_txt(unix_txt(file)) == file)? Do the
patch sets depend on `platform'?

I'd prefer to let my editor cope with this one.

Regards
-- tomás