Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:06:17 -0500

Aaron Bentley wrote:
John Meinel wrote:

Well, I ran into a problem. precommit doesn't happen soon enough. I can change the file permissions, and they are change in the filesystem, but the changeset has already been committed.

[...]

Does this behaviour make sense to people? True, it provides a chance to edit the changeset, but you'd think people would rather have a chance to edit the tree. I guess we could also add a pre-precommit hook.

I also have to remember, that in a hardlinked tree, you can't change the mode of a file since it is still linked.

But if it's already hardlinked, it's already committed. So its permissions are probably right.

This is true for all times except the *first* time you start using the hook. So for me that means when I go through and clean up my tree, it's a manual process. If it's only once, it's probably okay. As long as I detect it, and thus avoid corrupting the revision library (without it's knowledge).

What is the correct way to break a hard link? Copy the file, and then move it over the old one?

That's right.

Aaron

I would like to see a pre-precommit hook. I think both are useful, if only for different things. As you mentioned precommit could be used to modify the changeset, and pre-precommit can be used to verify the tree. Another possible hook time would be for pre-"changes". Something that lets you clean up a tree before it decides to compute the changes.

Also, if we wanted a hook-level for doing changeset patch munging (for CR/LF -> LF stuff), then we would need a hook somewhere around get changeset to allow you to "un-munge" on checkout.

I'll respond later, but I think using a different diff & patch is a better solution than munging the changeset.

John
=:->