Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: lode . leroy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:30:27 +0200 (CEST)

> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:24 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>> One of the issues I noticed when first looking at tla,
>> is that it's not addressing the problem of handling text
>> files across platforms.
>
> I don't think this should be a feature of tla; this "feature" in CVS is
> really very troublesome. It is a matter of policy what you want to store
> your files as, but tla should be agnostic to it and keep files binary
> identical to what *you* "decided" (knowingly or unknowingly) what they
> should be.

I liked that feature: I want to develop portable software, i.e. software
that compiles and runs on multiple platforms. therefore, I prefer to use
the native text file format.

So, it would be nice to classify a file as being
"dos text", "unix text", "mac text", "portable text", binary.
or "CR/LF", "LF", "CR", "native", binary.

$ cat ~ller/.arch-params/=default-terminators
*.txt, *.c, *.cpp, *.h: native
*.dsp, *.dsw : dos
*: binary
$ cat ~jberg/.arch-params/=default-terminators
*: binary

-- lode

Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas
Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas
http://www.advalvas.be