[Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: lode . leroy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:24:58 +0200 (CEST)

One of the issues I noticed when first looking at tla,
is that it's not addressing the problem of handling text
files across platforms.

That's one feature I liked in CVS and still find not addressed in tla.
(BTW, do BK and SVN handle this?)

Files should be classified as text, or binary files.
text files in working directories should be in native format
(i.e. CR/LF on windows, LF on unix, CR on MAC),
text files in archives should be platform agnostic (e.g. LF only)

maybe tla should even go as far as to store text files as UTF8
in the archives, and translating back if required?
(user, archive, directory, pattern, file setting?)

current workaround in cygwin is to configure a directory mount
as binary, and configure tools to preserve CR/LF-ness when needed,
and use LF-only when possible... it's not perfect, unfortunately!

-- lode

Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas
Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas
http://www.advalvas.be