[Gnu-arch-users] Tla spork

From: James Blackwell
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Tla spork
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:22:48 -0400

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to find a clear how-to to do these two simple tasks:
>
> 1. Creating a branch
>       Assume you're cd'ed to a tree with a branch "old-branch" from which you
> want
> to create a new branch "new-branch". I always use --0 as version numbers, so
> let's ignore them for now. The best method I have been able to find is:
>
> $ tla tag -S project--new-branch--0
>
>       Is that the best way to do this? I must say that I dislike using "tag"
> as the
> non-existing command "create-branch", but other than that the above method is
> fine, if a bit hard to find.

Yes, this is the best way to do this. We use "tag" instead of
"create-branch" because we already use the name branch.

At a conference the other night, ddaa and I were talking about the
problem with the name of the tag command. He suggestioned something
reasonable that I didn't agree with.

I suggested "tla spork".

Let's say you perform the following:

1. get somebody else's version
2. cd into it
3. hack, hack, hack
4. Commit. Whoops, we can't commit. Not our version
5. tla --spork [optional local version]

tla spork does all the tla tag, join-tree etc stuff that turns his
working copy into your working copy.

Sure, I originally meant it as a joke, but as the wide assortment of
english speaking non-americans started laughing at the joke, I realized
that it might be a really good idea!

The problem with "tla fork" as a command is that the word sounds much
too deep and serious. "Ohhh. I don't want to fork this guy. I just want
to work on my local copy". A spork, on the other hand, is one of
humanity's best jokes. Even better, conceptually, a "spork" is basically
a fork with really shallow prongs.