Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Tla spork

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Tla spork
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 07:41:48 -0500

James Blackwell wrote:

| Ok. I can give you spork (I'll use tla diverge). But now you owe me a
| favor. Some day, you'll have to do something for me that may seem...
| unpleasant.
|
| I was hoping to use it for the following:
|
|   tla get address@hidden/tla--devo tlt && cd tlt
|   <hack hack hack>
|   [vi `tla make-log`]
|   tla --spork [qualified version] [-L "Log message"]
|      which performs:
|      1. tla undo
|      2. tla tag -S address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3
|      3. tla join-branch  address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3
|      4. tla set-tree-version address@hidden/tla--devo--1.3
|      5. tla redo
|      6. tla commit
|
| I'd hate to give up the word for something that could really be used
| today for something else that might happen in six months.

Isn't this what "aba branch-this" does? Here is a list of steps I see.

tla tag -S `aba_tree_revision` $1
aba sync-tree $1--base-0
aba set-tree-version $1

Now, it uses a sync-tree, instead of join-branch, and it doesn't do the
undo-redo stuff.

But I know that if I'm in a directory of someone else's code, and I type
aba branch-this project--dev--0.7

It will create the category in my default archive, and sync up to it.
And I'm pretty sure it doesn't care about local changes.

There are some assumptions in branch-this that the supplied branch
doesn't exist (it explicitly sync's to base-0), but to me that seems
preferable to tagging into a branch that development work has already
been done on. (The whole don't tag and commit to the same branch.)

This is a very useful command that lets you take someones working tree,
and branch it into a local archive.

John
=:->