Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:06:10 -0400

Catalin Marinas:
>> A good start would be a public Linux mainline BK->arch gateway (one way)
>> but this probably cannot be achieved with the free BK because of its
>> license,

BK's license prevents developers of other revision control systems from
writing a BK->arch gateway without purchasing a license (about $2k
IIRC). As such, Tom Lord, Robert Collins, Aaron Bentley and myself can
not legally work on such a gateway unless a couple thousand dollars is
forked over (per person).

What's more, the clause is rather ambigious, so its potentially possible
that anybody that wrote a BK->Arch gateway could be considered as
"working on arch".

So what to do, what to do? Larry McVoy, speaking as the CEO of BitMovers
Inc, has said that anybody that wants to perform this work can license a
copy of bitkeeper.

So I'll ask this... is there anybody that, if a licensed copy of
bitkeeper were provided to them, has the time, the inclination
and the credentials to work on a BK->Arch gateway?