Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:33:22 -0400

Catalin Marinas wrote:

But other people might have the same way of developing as mine - adding
files in their own archive before they are released in the main kernel.
When the new ids are available in my mainline archive, it is too late
for them since they already created the id in their own archives.

Yes, I realize that. Taglines would work nicely because they'd force non-Archers like Linus to propogate the newly-forged ids. But you've already ruled that option out.

I still think it's better for Archers to mostly agree than to have no agreement whatsoever. And maybe there's a way for Arch-using Linux devels to collaborate on ids.

Another possibility would be to create the id based on the SHA1 or MD5
signature of the file. If people would apply the same patch to their own
trees, the id should be the same.

If the file is tweaked in any way after being submitted, it will generate a different hash. I haven't worked with the kernel, so I don't know how common that is. In developing Arch itself, submitted patches are tweaked more often than not.

In this respect, names tagging is better than explicit ids, because name-based ids can be independently duplicated using only the mainline tree.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology